Sunday, August 18, 2013

Reflection 1 - August 12, 2013

This evening was the first session for EDU Elementary Mathematics.  It's about how children learn Mathematics.  There were 3 lessons on problem solving.  Lesson 2 was about using a person's name to solve a Mathematical problem.  The activity is in about which letter is counted 99th in a name.  I chose this activity for my reflection as I find it very interesting and engaging to use a personal name as an activity to solve mathematical problem. 

I use my own name to find which letter is counted 99th.  I count and write down the numbers in sets counting from left to right, then right to left for the next set till I reached 99.  As I was counting the sets half way through, I observed there was a pattern of numbers.  From the first letter of my name, I just need to add 14 to alternate set till I reach 99.  Upon realisation this pattern and reaching the number 99, the feeling was like the 'light bulb' in my mind lighted up and “ah.ha.. moment. Wow! “

What have I learnt for this first session?
  • Concrete - counting the numbers
  • Pictorial - writing the numerals in a row
  • Abstract - seeing the pattern of 14 per alternate set in the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment